Whether you are a dog owner or a lover of dogs, you must have observed the appearance of tiny particles of white flakes on the coat or fur of your pet. Although these flakes might not be a life threatening condition, they are actually a symptom of a questionable health in the pet and they can cause a lot of itching and irritation.
Dandruffs in a dog (seborrhea) occur when flakes of dead skin cells can be seen on the fur or coat of your dog. These flakes most times cause itching and skin irritation which ultimately leads to hair loss and added complications if not treated accordingly.
This article is aimed at providing you with a long lasting solution to your questions on how to get rid of dog dandruff, but first, you will need to find out the causes.
WHAT CAUSES DANDRUFF IN DOGS?
Dandruff is caused by several factors, so much that it’s often would require an examination from an expert to tell which. Some of the most common causes of dandruff include:
- Improper diet
- Endocrine disorder
- External environmental factors like temperature and humidity
- Lack of proper grooming
TOP FOUR ANTI DANDRUFF SHAMPOOS FOR DOGS
Have you discovered that your pet has a case of dandruff? Cheer up. There are several anti-dandruff shampoos that can help with curing your dog of this condition.
Let us take a look at some of these products.
- Malaseb shampoo
- Earth bath Oatmeal and Aloe Vera shampoo
- Synergy Labs Veterinary formula
- Pet MD Benzoyl peroxide medicated shampoo
1. MALASEB SHAMPOO
Malaseb shampoo is a one of a kind blend of anti-bacterial and anti-fungi agent with fur/coat conditioners. It is a powerful and efficient solution developed to take care of dandruffs, ringworms and yeast bacterial infections and other dermatological conditions. Malaseb shampoos are free from scent/fragrance. Its mild recipe makes it ideal for sensitive skin, while firm on infected skin.
- An antibacterial and antifungal agent with fur/coat conditioners.
- Presence of Chlorhexidine and Micronzole, which reduces the formation of infection causing microbes.
- Malaseb is free from scent and fragrance.
- Anti-itching solution
- Dye free
- Fragrance free shampoo
- Dye free
- It also cleans and serves to remove grease from the coat.
- Gets rid of pimples and white heads.
- It does not strip the dog coat of its color
- Anti-itching solution
- Ingestion of shampoo can cause gastrointestinal irritation
- The shampoo can damage eyes
2. EARTHBATH OATMEAL AND ALOE VERA SHAMPOO
Used in a variety of treatments due to its oatmeal and aloe Vera combination, Earthbath Oatmeal and aloe shampoo is a 100% natural, soap free solution for pets with skin conditions such as dry or itchy skin. A natural choice for groomers and veterinarians in search of a natural remedy for all pets or animals. The shampoo is perfect for fighting irritations in the pet’s skin and coat, thereby improving overall health and moisturizing sensitive dry skin.
Earthbath Oatmeal and aloe shampoo has a balanced PH value which safely disinfects your pet’s coat and skin, leaving you with a squeaky clean and scenting pet.
Earthbath Oatmeal and aloe shampoo lathers/foams impressively and rinses quickly from the pet’s coat, ensuring relieve for itching and dry skin.
- 100% natural soap free solution for your pet
- Presence of Aloe Vera
- Almond and vanilla extract for fragrance enhancement
- A gel-like oatmeal suspension
- Comprises of organic coconut-based cleaners.
- Presence of Vitamin A, B, D AND E
- Presence of Glycerin
- Use of olive oil as a natural preservative
- Free from phosphates and paraben
- Completely natural pH balanced shampoo with no dye
- No artificial preservative
- 100% biodegradable ingredients
- Vanilla and Almond scented fragrance
- It is harmless to humans, grasses and other living things
- It is perfect for itchy skins and allergies
- It offsets odor and bad scents
- Contact with the eye can cause damage
3. PET MD BENOYL PEROXIDE MEDICATED SHAMPOO
Pet MD Benzoyl Peroxide Medicated Shampoo comprises of an antiseptic (antibacterial and antifungal) properties. The Shampoo is an effective tool for the relief of scaling and itching associated with skin infections, seborrheic disorders, and follicular plugging on cats, horses and dogs.
Pet MD Benzoyl Peroxide Medicated Shampoo is made up of a citrus scented soap-free, lathering base with sin moisturizers for gentle cleansing and deodorizing, thereby expelling scales and oils from the coat, leaving your pet fresh, clean and happy. The soap-free shampoo comprises of benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid to minimize scaling on the skin. It can be applied on the specific affected area, or the entire coat of the pet.
- Comprises of antiseptic properties
- Relief for the reduction of scaling and itching associated with skin infections
- Presence of a citrus scented soap-free lathering base
- Skin moisturizers for gentle cleaning and deodorizing
- Presence of Benzoyl Peroxide and salicylic acid
- Its soap-free formula is subtle on your pet, but effective in fighting bacteria, as it kills it on contact.
- The shampoo gets deep in your pets pores to help flush infected hair follicles.
- It is made up of benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid which helps in getting rid of scaly skin, itching and painful irritation.
- It may be applied to the whole body or the affected areas that exhibit dandruff, mange, seborrheic disorders which is when the hair follicles become inflamed.
The two most common side effects of Pet MD Benzoyl Peroxide Medicated Shampoo includes redness and itching leading to irritating on your dog’s skin. This is mostly, as a result of those that consist of substances like benzoyl or salicylic acid or coal-based shampoos.
4. SYNERGYLABS VETERINARY FORMULA
Are you in search of a one stop treatment for flaky coats and dry skin in your pet? Try SynergyLabs Veterinary Formula.
SynergyLabs Veterinary Formula is an efficient and cost-effective remedy for skin infections which occur as a result of dermatitis, seborrhea, inflammations, loss of hair, and other parasitic fungal bacteria.
This Shampoo is formulated primarily for treatment of flaking skins, itching, red skin rashes, foul odor, ear infections etc. Recommended by Veterinarians, SynergyLabs Veterinary Formula has been proven to hydrate and take care of several skin conditions; it is dye and soap free and works well for dogs with sensitive skin. The treatment can also be used to remedy flea and tick infestation.
- Presence of Coal tar solution
- Made with Coconut oil based cleaners
- Comprises of Allantoin and Salicylic acid
- Fragrance-made shampoo.
- Micronized sulphuric powder
- Acrylates Copolymer
- Propylene Glycol
- Polysorbate 20
- Oatmeal gel-like suspension
- Comprises of Tetrasoduim EDTA
- Treats multiple skin conditions such as mange, seborrhea, and dermatitis, as well as other parasitic and bacterial infections
- The presence of oatmeal and Allantoin helps to hydrate skin and improve healing
- Paraben, soap and dye free
- Recommended by veterinarians
- Rapid action
- Specifically great for dogs
- Subtle healing
- It is efficient and cost effective
- It contains Vitamin E, shea butter, aloe vera and other ingredients which moisturizes the pet’s coat
- It lathers exceptionally well, ensuring long lasting usage
- It might be too harsh for ultra-sensitive dogs